Candle Care and Safety

Soy candles are a wonderful way to brighten up a room. Their warm glow and inviting fragrances create an amazingly comfortable atmosphere. However, candles need maintenance to prolong their life. They can also be dangerous if not used and cared for properly. Here are a few tips to help keep you, your family, and your home safe when burning our fragrant candles.

Always trim the wick to 1/4 inches before lighting or re-lighting.

Did you know that you’re supposed to trim your candles wick? Candle wicks should be trimmed to 1/4 inch from the top of the wax. As the wick gets longer, the height of the flame increases, and more heat is generated. Too much heat could expel the fragrance into the air leaving you with an unscented, discolored candle that could potentially cause a fire. So, every time you go to light your candle, be sure to trim the wick to ensure each burn is as good as the first!

Burn your candle until there is a full melt pool.

For the first few times you light your candle, set aside 2-4 hours to create a full melt pool that is between 1/4 and 1/2 inch thick. Blowing your candle out too soon could lead to unmelted wax being left on the sides of the container. A full melt pool also allows you to experience the full fragrance your candle has to offer.

Do not burn the candle for more than four hours at a time.

Candles need breaks in order to prolong its life and prevent serious injury and harm. Only burn your candle for a maximum of four hours each time. The longer a candle burns, the longer the wick gets, which increases the size of the flame. Bigger flames mean more heat, which can cause an out-of-control flame. Excess heat originating from inside the jar could also cause the glass to break, causing a fire and/or harm to yourself or someone else.

If you notice the candle vessel is getting too hot, extinguish the candle immediately and let it cool.

Clean the candle free of debris and foreign materials to prevent fires.

Before lighting, always check your candle for flammable debris including but not limited to wick trimmings, matches, dust, hair, or anything else that could catch fire and pose a threat to the safety of you or your home.

Keep out of the reach of children and pets.

Ensure that your candle is out of reach of children and pets. Candles smell really great and may look even better to kids and pets. Be sure to place your candle up high and out of reach so that no one gets harmed by a burning flame.

Only burn your candle within your sight.

Never ever leave your candle unattended. Flames, heat, kids, pets, and anything else that could possibly start a fire or cause harm originating from your candle is hazardous if you’re not close by. So please don’t stray from your candle for without blowing it out first.

Keep away from drafts and vibrations.

Drafts can create many problems for candles. First, the scent might disappear as drafts can push the fragrance away from you, giving you a less than ideal experience. In addition, drafts could cause the flame to jump out of the container and catch something on fire. Likewise, vibrations can cause your candle to tip over, leaving you with a serious fire risk.

Only burn your candle on a level sturdy surface.

To prevent your candle from falling, place your candle on a secure, level surface to prevent potential breakage, spills, and fires should it fall.

Keep the candle away from other objects to prevent them from catching fire.

You want to make sure you place your candle in a spot where there is nothing near the flame that can catch fire. Curtains, papers, and anything else that can come in contact with the candle can quickly combust, cause a fire, and possibly hurt someone.

So, with a little care, maintenance, and by taking safety precautions, your candle will provide you with that beautiful glow and room filling aroma for days. Get out those wick trimmers, a match, and your favorite Mossberry Woods candle, enjoy the ambience it creates and relax!